Friday, March 7, 2014

Bed Canopy Tutorial



A bed canopy for Audrey was a part of my vision for her room from the get go. There is something about a canopy that makes a bed seem like a magical place. I mean a bed is nice but a bed with a canopy is like your own special little hideaway. I even hope to add lights to it one day to make it even more magical. I promised you a tutorial and I know that you have been waiting on the edge of your seat for it. So, here are all the details for this super, simple project. I gathered some supplies:
  • Two, white curtain panels (I got mine at Ikea. I think they were $10 for the pair)
  • Large, oval embroidery hoop
  • Adorable, pink pom-pom trim
  • Liquid Stitch
  • Ribbon

 
I can't write this tutorial without giving Liz over at Life in Projects a major shout out. 1) For her inspiring work with pom-poms and 2) for introducing me to the amazingness that is liquid stitch.
 
 
This stuff is genius and made this project possible without dragging out my nemesis aka the sewing machine. I simply laid the curtain panels out on the floor, applied the liquid stitch and placed the trim on top. It is amazing how strong the hold is!

 
I let everything dry over night and then shimmied the curtains onto the embroidery hoop just like you would with a curtain rod.

 
 
I repeated the same thing with the other panel and that part was done-so.

 
 Then, it was time to figure out how to hang it from Audrey's ceiling. I cut ribbon into four equal lengths and tied them onto loops that were already on the curtain panels. 


I just made sure that the ribbon was tied at equal distances so that everything would be level (although the picture below would indicate otherwise...it took a little adjusting).I tied the four pieces of ribbon into a knot at the end. My sweet hubs put in a ceiling hook for me which I hung the knot onto and that was all there was to it. I told you it was simple!


I love when simple projects like this can make such a big impact.


I may have curled up in this little nook myself a time or two. It is our favorite spot to read bedtime stories.


Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...