Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Color Blocking in the Playroom


As I have mentioned before, one project always leads to another one around here. One of the side effects of organizing and decorating Audrey's bedroom, was a pile of books without a home. Since our home library is still non-existent and probably will be for quite some time, I decided I needed to make room for them in our playroom. And, it was a really good motivator to reorganize and rotate some things around. This is how the shelves looked the first time I organized this room in case you need to jog your memory.


 
To solve the book issue, I decided to dedicate an entire row of shelves to all books. I debated on how to organize them for awhile but nothing was working. There were too many different types and categories to do it that way. Then, I remembered a "Home by Novagratz" episode where Bob and Courtney organized a client's books by color and I knew it would be the perfect solution. I am in love with it! We were short on green books so I placed Will's Charley Harper nesting blocks in that open space. It worked out exactly how I had hoped! If nothing else, it will help Will learn his colors during clean up time.
 
 
But, let's talk about what else I did to get this space working more efficiently. I picked up a couple more white boxes for craft supplies because the two that we had  began to overflow (go figure). We now have a box for paper, one for my craft supplies (hot glue gun, modge podge, paper cutter, etc.) and one for the kid's crafts. There is also an empty one but don't worry, I have a plan for it. I moved all the woven baskets to the bottom for toys and coloring books. Here, let me just open them up so you can see...
 
 
I also needed a solution to our art supplies since we are now using the "art cart" as Audrey's bedside table. I put the containers of crayons, colored pencils, and markers in this wire basket from Anthropologie. It was an awesome sale room find. It actually came as a set of 3 so you may see some of its friends popping up around our house. I like that we can just take the entire basket off the shelf when the kids want to color.


I guess I should show you our other shelf, too, since I also reorganized over there. Don't mind the diaper-wearing, iPad-playing photo bomber. He's just doing his thang so mommy can take a picture of the playroom without everything all over the floor. Please don't judge me.


Anyways, the white shelves now hold a wooden train set...

 
 Items for kitchen play...


 
Puzzles...



And, a new wonder basket. My thought is that we can change things in this basket based on Audrey's (and eventually Will's) interests. Audrey is already requesting a bird-watching basket and what can I say? I aim to please.

 
 
An abacus and pattern blocks are also hanging out on top of the shelves. My husband is a math teacher after all so it only seems fitting to encourage math play. Am I right?


Finally, I filled this basket with puppets and stuffed animals. Will has been cracking me up, lately, with these puppets. He loves to put them on and try out his best animal sounds.


It is always so refreshing to walk into a newly organized space. So, what have been organizing lately? I have several other spaces that need attention, too. It's a good thing that spring break is on it's way. I can't believe that I'm typing those words but it makes me giddy just thinking about warm weather and the end to the longest winter ever!
Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...