Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Homemade Applesauce

I've discovered this truly simple and delicious way of making applesauce that I have to pass along to you. It tastes more like baked apples than the applesauce I'm used to (the jar variety). My students made this last week in honor of Johnny Appleseed's birthday. They began by observing an apple and recording their thinking in a composition notebook a.k.a "Thinking Notebooks". Next, it was time to peel and slice our apples. Thank goodness I borrowed this nifty contraption from my mother-in-law. If haven't used one of these things, you have to get one. It peels, cores, and slices the apples all at once.  Check it out! So fun!
 
 
 
Once every child had a chance to slice their apples, we added them to an electric skillet with the following ingredients:
 
1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
 
We let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the apples were soft enough to mash.
 
 
Here is our yummy treat cooling on the counter. My students really enjoyed the process of making something from scratch. We all learned or tried something new that day.
 
 
Personally, I couldn't get enough of this stuff so that evening Audrey and I whipped together our own batch at home. We enjoyed ours with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Delicious, simple, and the perfect treat for fall! 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...