Thursday, February 6, 2014

Audrey's Bulletin Board

 
 
Day by day, I am inching closer and closer to finishing Audrey's room. I feel like I can finally say that the end is in sight. I am even going to throw it out there that an official reveal will be up on the blog next week...(as long as all goes well this weekend with one final project)!!!

Today, I am here to share a quick DIY that I did for above Audrey's desk. Last summer I picked up this bulletin board at a thrift shop for like 99 cents. Mainly because it was 99 cents and I thought it would look perfectly among the other junk that I have been collecting in my garage. Or, I knew that one day I would need a bulletin board for something. And, what do you know, that day is finally here.


 
It was just your run of the mill bulletin board so to make it Audrey-worthy it needed a makeover. I thought I was going to take the frame off to paint it until I realized that would be impossible without breaking the frame. I just painted it, as is, and it worked out really well. I opted for some gold craft paint since that is what I had on hand and I have been wanting to add some gold accents throughout her room. I didn't sand or use primer or anything and it took about three coats to cover it.
 



I thought it needed a little something more so I added a pattern with some white paint. Love the way it turned out!



I picked up this pink ikat dot fabric at Hobby Lobby. I was a little concerned about getting the fabric on the board since I couldn't remove the frame. My plan was just to tuck it underneath. I trimmed it so it was just slightly larger than the area that I wanted to cover.



Then, I used a knife to push the fabric underneath the frame. It went pretty well minus a couple of places where the hanging brackets got in the way and I had to really force it to go in. I went around the edge where the frame and fabric met with some modge podge to keep it secure and to make sure the fabric wouldn't start fraying.




Now, my 99 cent thrift shop find is lookin' fancy and ready for Audrey's room. I need to pick up a sawtooth hanger to hang it so you will have to wait until the big reveal to see it at home above her desk. This is what I do when there's six inches of snow on the ground. Anybody else snowed in and DIYing it up these days?









 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...