Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Advent Calendar

I guess I'm a couple of days behind with this post but I thought I would share the advent calendar that we put together this year. We love Christmas around here and counting down the days is always very exciting for us. Because not only does it mean that Santa is coming, it also means that we get to spend more time together as a family.

I decided on a tree theme for our calendar and began by gathering a few supplies, such as, twine, festive scrapbook paper, and clothespins.

 
I cut the twine into strips and nailed them to the wall. Obviously, I'm not worried about putting a bunch of nail holes in the wall. If you are concerned about that you could always attach it to a separate board or just use tape or 3M hooks.
 
 
Then, I cut the scrapbook paper into different shapes and hung each piece on clothespins to serve as the ornaments.
 
 
 
Starting at the bottom, I wrote the number for each day of December up to the 24th.

 
I wanted something special for Christmas Day so I had Audrey paint this star onto a square canvas that I happened to have on hand. The scale is a little off but Audrey is very proud of her star and I really like it, too.

 
On the back of each number there is a special event or activity written. Each day, we turn the day over and then we turn it back the following day.
 
 
 I wanted to incorporate a variety of things to do as we countdown to Christmas. I haven't planned out all 24 days because it's hard to be tied to things around here. So, I am adding some things as we go. So far, our list includes things, such as:
  • Have breakfast with Santa
  • Make a Christmas wish list
  • Find Santa's elf hiding in the house
  • Read a Christmas bedtime story
  • Make a shopping list for people we want to buy gifts for
  • Celebrate Audrey's birthday
  • Get a Christmas tree and decorate
  • Deliver meals to a needy family
  • Donate things to the giving tree
  • Bake Christmas goodies
  • Christmas movie night
  • Go on a drive to look at lights
  • Go ice skating
 We are really enjoying our Advent tree! Audrey is excited because she is ready to make it to the star and enjoy her favorite day of the year. Our countdown has officially begun!

What are some of  your favorite traditions leading up to Christmas? Do you have any great ideas that I should add to our list?


 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...