Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Taking Inventory

The thought of furnishing an entire home is truly overwhelming to me. I want the different spaces in our home to be beautiful and I want them to be a reflection of who we are. I hope to save money by using many of the existing pieces we already have. Unfortunately, many of the things in our current home are drab, boring, and not at all us. My plan, therefore, is to take these pieces and give them a face lift so that they are beautiful, interesting moments in our new home. So...today I'm taking inventory. I'm looking for pieces in my home that could be potential projects and that with a little TLC will give my home the style I'm hoping for. Many of these projects are inspired by the work my friend has done in her home. Check out her blog "My Life in Projects" for some great ideas!

You may recognize this first piece. It's your typical, mass-produced bookshelf from IKEA. I don't plan on doing anything to the piece itself; however, I want to style it in a new way. The colors right now are not doing it for me. I also want it to be functional in the room off of the kitchen. It will house reading materials for the whole family, art & writing supplies, and maybe a few toys for the kids.



And for the same room that will serve as a family lounging, reading, crafting space; I will use this coffee table. I love this table because it belonged to my grandparents. It is a part of my history and can still see it in their formal living room topped with a gorgeous vase. I have had the table since we lost my grandpa in 2001 (my grandma seven years earlier) and it has seen its better days. With a little sanding, priming, and painting; however, it could be beautiful again. I'm thinking either gray or a fun pop of color. Underneath I will tuck a couple of poufs like these from Sarena & Lily that the kids can use. (Or, I may have a hand at making them myself by following this tutorial.) That way, the table will double as a coffee table and a craft table for Audrey and Will.


I think these next two pieces will go in the powder room. The first one was again from my grandparents. I plan to paint it white and use it to house a few bathroom items. The mirror is from my childhood bedroom and I want to paint it a pretty blue and hang it above the sink.



Looks like I'm going to be busy this summer! Be sure to check back to see my progress and hopefully some amazing "after" pics. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the blog and can't wait to read all about the house building process!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...