Thursday, January 10, 2013

To Splurge or Not to Splurge?


That is definitely a question that I have been asking myself a lot lately. When it comes to home furnishings, when does it make sense to shell out a big chunk of change and when should we go the less expensive route? Now that our new house is close-ish to being finished, I have been spending a significant amount of time shopping (or window shopping) online.

 One of the bigger pieces that I'm looking for is an area rug for the living room. I am excited to have hardwood floors throughout our house but definitely want to warm up some of the living spaces with rugs. I also think it is a great opportunity to add style and color to a space. There is one rug that has completely stolen my heart. Check....it....out!



 Floating Medallion Hand Tufted Rug
image via www.shadesoflight.com

I am so in love with it! I love the teal and gray together, the graphic pattern, the plushness -- the list goes on.



image via www.younghouselove.com
 
I first saw this rug over on Young House Love. See how cute it is up there in their bedroom? If you read their post about it, you will find that they got it for a whopping $250 from The Decorating Outlet in their area. I am about 9 1/2 hours away from there. I know because I checked. Apparently, I have a thing for road trips that involve home shopping. I doubt that's happening anytime soon so I was excited to find it online at Shades of Light. What I wasn't excited about was how much it cost. An 8x10 rug is $949! A 9x12 is $1287! Really? Why?


 Do I really dare to splurge that much on one piece for our home? I did find this other one that is similar and really pretty, too. This one is a dhurrie rug, though, so it isn't plush at all. The price is better at $629 for an 8x11 at Shades of Light. It is also on sale right now on Joss & Main for only $382. The only problem with that, though, is that their sales have time constraints (it only lasts another day) and ALL SALES ARE FINAL. Yikes! That is way too much commitment!



 Ironwork Trellis Dhurrie Rug: 6 Colors
image via www.shadesoflight.com

So, what would you do if you were in my situation? Would you splurge on the more expensive rug, snatch up the cheaper one, or just keep looking? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Thank you for your  much needed help and have a wonderful Thursday! 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...