Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Soft Place to Land

It seems that lately I have seen cute floor cushions aka poufs showing up everywhere. They have become the 21st century version of the beanbag chair and I knew that I had to have a couple for my kiddos. The problem is that they are super pricey. The cheapest I've seen them are at Target for $70. So, I decided to try my hand at making my own.

I was browsing one of my favorite blogs, Young House Love, when I came across a tutorial for floor cushions. Here is her link and this one that she used. She made it look so easy so I dusted off my Singer and got to work.

I purchased my fabric (1 yard per cushion) at Hobby Lobby for about $6/yard. I chose a canvas which seemed sturdy enough. I chose not use home decor fabric because it was much more pricey.

I started by making a pattern with copy paper. I drew a 17" circle with a compass and cut it out. Then, I made a rectangle for the side that was 9" by 51.5" and cut it in half. I had to do this because I used fabric that was 45" wide. I also needed a 3" by 12" piece for the handle.

I pinned my patterns to the fabric. I did my best to make sure that my two rectangles would line up when I sewed them together.



Once cut out, I sewed my rectangles together to make the large 9x51.5 piece. See how well I did with lining up the pattern?


Next, it was time to pin my piping onto the top side of both circles You will need two packs of piping that is 1/2 inch. I sewed the piping to the fabric by stitching on top of the piping seam. It is helpful to use thread that contrasts your fabric but I didn't.


Then, I pinned the piping to both sides of one of the handle pieces and sewed them on the same way.


I took the other handle piece and put the top side down on the first piece. I followed my first stitch and sewed them together. It was then time to turn it right-side in and sew the ends closed.


Now for the fun part! I pinned the large rectangle to one circle. I left an inch unpinned and pinned the two ends of the rectangle together. I sewed them together. Then, I finished pinning it to the circle and sewed it the same way I did the handle by following the existing stitch.



It was then time to sew on the handle.


After that, I pinned the whole thing to the second circle and sewed it together. I left an opening several inches wide. Stuffed her with fiberfill. I used 36 oz. because I wanted them super lofty.


The last step was to hand stitch the opening and voila!


Audrey lives her new cushion and I'm sure Will will like his one day, too!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...