Thursday, July 19, 2012

Progress...finally!

Back in May, I wrote my first post about the wonderful adventures my family and I are embarking on this year. This included building our home. Well, fast forward two months and construction is finally beginning! Never in a million years would I have anticipated things taking as long as they have to get moving but that is, apparently, the name of the game. We are just so excited that the process has begun and we can't wait to see this dream realized.

Over the past couple months, we have been busy making all of our exterior and interior selections for our new home. It's been fun and overwhelming all at the same time. I have learned the art of compromise and have settled on some great finishings that won't break the bank. It felt a little strange choosing things before even walking into the rooms. When I think about designing a room, I think about everything from the furniture, the flooring, to the wall color, and accessories. So, having to pick things when said furniture and accessories haven't been chosen is a little tricky.  Nonetheless, I have just had to go with it and I thought I'd share some of my choices with you. Would love to read your thoughts so feel free to make comments or add suggestions (nothing is set in stone, yet).

I'll start today by sharing some flooring and paint colors. I plan to continue posting as it all comes together so, eventually, you'll get to see a lot more.

If it was up to me, I would have hardwood floors throughout the entire house. Unfortunately,that was one of the first compromises that I had to make. It is, however, going to be in every room except the great room, bedrooms, stairs, and bathrooms. Here is what we chose...(this also gives you a sneak peak of what our cabinets look like.)

                                       

I really do love everything about them -- the dark color, the wide plank, the handscraped detail. Love, love, love!

Let's switch gears now to paint colors. The right paint color is so important and I pray that I made good decisions. It's just so hard to decide when there are so many choices. I have always been drawn to cool, beachy colors. Lots of blues and greens and nature-inspired neutrals. We are using Sherwin Williams paint products and I have found a lot of shades that I like in their HGTV Coastal Cool line. Here's my plan (for the moment):

Living Room, Dining Room, Entry, Hallways, and Master Bedroom. a.k.a our Main Color
These areas connect and are very open to each other (minus our bedroom) so I thought it made sense to use the same color. I knew I wanted gray and settled on Proper Gray. I think it will look great up against our dark floors and white trim.
SW 7640 - Fawn Brindle
SW 7640 - Fawn Brindle


Kitchen, Nook, Family Room
These rooms have lots of dark wood with the floors and cabinets so I wanted to make sure things stay bright with white walls. Who knew there were so many shades of white? I am going with Ibis White. It looks a little gray in this pic but it's not. That's why you can never pick paint colors online.


Master Bathroom and Laundry Room
I chose this color first for our bathroom and thought it would look nice in the laundry room, too. I knew I wanted something calming and serene. I found this color called Watery. Doesn't that name sound perfect for a bathroom? Is it wrong to choose a paint color for the name? Haha! (Again, the pic is not doing it justice. It has more green in it than this is showing.)

Powder Room
Somewhere I got the idea that the powder room should have a bright color on the wall. So, I'm going with Scanda. It will be a great backdrop for my mirror that I made in this post.

Kid's Bathroom
I chose a fun pop of color for my kids' bathroom. I thought it was a color they will both appreciate. It makes me happy when I look at it. It's called Cooled Blue. If you haven't noticed already I'm really sticking to the blue/green theme.


Will & Audrey's Bedrooms
I haven't officially chosen colors for their rooms. I definitely want to do some horizontal stripes in the nursery and I'm considering doing it for Audrey, as well. Here's a little "Pinspiration"




Well, that's it for now. Let me know what you think of the color palette. I can always use some expert opinions!



SW6003 Proper Gray
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. How exciting!! I love your flooring choice and the paint colors. Our house is on the market right now, so I'm already thinking about colors for in our next house when and if we move! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...