Thursday, August 16, 2012

Two for the Price of None

My little Will has been a total drool monkey lately. The front of his outfits are always soaking wet. So, I figured I needed to be more vigilant about putting a bib on him each day. For some reason, I was lacking in the bib department and was  going to purchase a couple. Then, I remembered that I had some leftover fabric from my diaper clutch project and I could just make my own.
I was going to print out a pattern from the Internet when I realized, duh, I could just use another bib as my pattern.

I started with this small one and pinned it to my cotton fabric and cut it out.

I wanted the second bib to be a bit larger so I used a larger pattern for it. Here are all of my pieces cut out.
At this point, I realized that I needed something else to make the bib thicker and more absorbent. I had some cotton batting and decided it would work perfectly.


Here I pinned the pattern to the batting. I did this for both bibs and cut it out.

 
I started by sewing the batting to the laminate cotton, right side of the fabric up.

 
Then, I laid the cotton fabric rights side down onto the laminate and stitched it together. I left an opening at the bottom of the bib so that I could turn it inside-out. This is what it looked like at that point.
The only thing left to do was to add a stitch all around the top to close the opening and to give it that finished look and to add Velcro.
I followed the same procedure for the second one; however, I decided to add some piping. Once the laminate and cotton batting were sewn together I pinned the piping on, like so. I stitched it all the way around on top of the piping seam.

 
Then, I put the fabric on top of the piping right-side down and "tried" to stitch over top the stitch that I made in the last step. Didn't turn out perfectly, but oh well.
Here's this one all finished after I had topstitched like I had done the first bib.





And, there you have it! Two bibs made from materials that I already had on hand. I love that they are reversible and they look absolutely adorable on my little monkey!






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...