Friday, February 1, 2013

Thrift Shop Challenge (that almost didn't happen)

UPDATE: If you want to see how I've made over a couple of my spoils check out this post and this post. Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

So, last Friday something amazing came across my iPhone screen. What, you ask? Oh, just Young House Love's Unofficial Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge! Not only did I die laughing at the video, I knew that I just haaaaaad to participate. So, in my head I said, "Challenge accepted!" My life, however, was telling me you have no business going to a thrift shop and blogging about. Let's just start with the fact that my mom had just had surgery and it was my 30th birthday weekend. Nuf, said. Thrifting wasn't happening. I figured I would at least find some time during the week.

Well...Monday I visited my mom in the hospital, Tuesday I took my daughter to dance class, and Wednesday I took dinner to my mom and dad since she was now out of the hospital. So, Thursday it was. I had a plan. I would get off work, pick up the kids, and head to the shop. And, then I came home to this...

 
The poor little thing had a cold and was all tuckered out. I attempted to wake her up and even said something like, "If you get up we'll go to the old store (that is what she calls thrift shops and antique malls) and then get McDonalds!" This was not a proud moment. Please don't judge! Well, needless to say it didn't work. I knew she needed the rest because she didn't even budge. Audrey is not normally one to pass up an "old store" adventure. She is definitely my thrifting sidekick!

At that point, I had pretty much given up. It wasn't going to happen for me. I would be reading all the posts about what everyone found and would feel left out and feeling sorry for myself. Boo hoo! But then, I woke up this morning to an amazing gift in the form of a two-hour-delay. Being a Kindergarten teacher this meant that I would only have my afternoon class. Wooooohoooo!

I got dressed, took Audrey to school, ran some errands, and then decided that I had just enough time to run by a local thrift shop. Of course, the one that I had planned to go to was closed. The snow must have scared them. So, I went to another part of town to another store that I had heard about and wanted to try.

So, here are the rules of the Thrift Shop Challenge and how I was able to follow them in a 15-minute power shop before school...

Step #1. Go to a thrift shop with – just as the chorus of the song says – “$20 in your pocket” and take a picture.

I never have cash so I swung by the ATM to grab a few bones...




Step #2. Spend that $20 any way you’d like and photograph your spoils.

First, I picked up a few baskets for my classroom. I've been sprucing things up and looking to achieve a more natural, homey feel. I decided to use my baskets in my art station to hold scissors, glue, and oil pastels.






Then, I come across a rack of men's ties for 75 cents a piece. Oh, that reminds me, I happened to hit the jackpot because everything happened to be 50% off today! Yay!


 My friend, Liz, made this super cool clutch out of ties that I would love to do. Hop over to her blog, Life in Projects, to see how she did it.

image via www.lifeinprojects.blogspot.com 
So, I may try that but I was thinking I could also make a pretty stunning DIY art project for my son's room. I will have to keep you posted on that one.

Finally, I saw this mirror. I loved the wide frame and instantly knew it would be mine. It was only $4! I love that you can hang it as a diamond or a square. My plan is to definitely paint it. Maybe white or maybe teal???? I might event attempt some sort of pattern. We shall see. Again, I'll keep you posted.


 
 
That was all that actually came home with me. Not exactly earth-shattering but not bad for a 15-minute pwer shop.  I'm excited to have some new projects to tackle all for around $10!
 
 I did see this dining set that I thought was cute.
 

 
 

I was thinking how cool it would be to paint the chairs white and change the fabric to something with a fun, bold pattern. It was only $75 for the set but it had a SOLD sticker slapped on it. Oh, well! Spending that much would have been against the rules!  I have a hard time buying bigger pieces right now, anyways. We are building a new house (check out this post if you want to check it out) and I really feel like I need to be in the space before I start decorating.
 
Now, on to rule #3...
 
Step #3. Find one item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a pic.
 
Velcro shoes!




Footy pajamas! Adult-sized would have been a lot more fun but I had no such luck!

 
And, this just made me laugh so I have to share. Posted in the back of the store was this lovely sign. 


 
And, here is the toy "department". Nice and tidy wouldn't you say? Come on, though, why does the toy section have to stay tidy? What about the home section? It was worse! Or the clothing? Besides, have you ever seen a thrift store that didn't look like this? Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong area. Haha!



Well, thank you for stopping by! Be sure to look on Young House Love to see all the amazing finds of the challenge. I hope you check back again soon to see what I do with my little treasures. Have a great weekend!




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...