Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Little Man's Room

Ah, the four-day weekend. What a perfect time to bust open some paint cans! We aren't in the new house, yet. No, we don't have a move-in date. The fact that I have to type these words irritates me to no end. So much, in fact, that I can barely talk about it. For right now, I wake up each morning and stare at a "mostly" completed home that I can't move into. Grrrr! Anyways, since we aren't moving in yet and since I had some time off; I decided to paint the kid's bedrooms. We had the painters just paint them white but I always knew that we would one day want to do something else. Well, why not one day be right now. Today I'm going to share what I did in the little man's room. Will really is becoming our little man. He will be turning one in a month and a half. Craaaazzzzyyy!
 
I did this mood board for Will's bedroom awhile back but realized that it was missing something.

Nursery Inspiration
www.polyvore.com
If I was decorating the room for a newborn it probably would have been perfect and I would have gone with my original plan of painting his room with horizontal beige stripes. Remember, when I talked about that here? Well, fast forward several months; I will now be decorating for a little boy about to enter toddlerhood. So, I decided that I needed to kick up the masculinity in his room.

I really like dark colors for a  bedroom. For example, look what color Dana, over at House*Tweaking,  painted her daughter's room. So lovely!

mabrey kids
image via www.housetweaking.com

I would have never thought to use that color but it works really well! I ended up choosing a dark blue color called Indigo Batik. It is a Sherwin Williams color that I had color-matched at Lowes in Olympic One. I considered painting his entire room in this color but thought I would just take it one step at a time. Aaron also suggested that I just do an accent wall so that is the route that I went.

Here is a little play-by-play for ya... (Sidenote: I'm wishing my camera would take a wider picture. I have a hard time photographing smaller rooms. Those of you who have DSLR cameras, is there a lens that would help with this? Not that I would actually invest in new camera anytime soon, I'm just curious).


Prepping the space. I had to tape the baseboards and all the way around the entire wall so I didn't get blue on any of the white. How do people do that without taping? I am not that talented.


I used a brush to do the entire outline around the wall.

Then, I rolled it with two coats of paint.



Things are definitely looking a little more boy now! I love the way the dark blue and the turquoise of the globe light go together. That lighting fixture needs to be lowered, though. It is driving me crazy! I plan to put Will's crib against this wall and want to either do a gallery wall or one large art piece over his crib. I can't wait for that part!



 
So, that was phase one of my day of painting. I will be back to share what I did in Audrey's room later this week. Until then, I will leave you with a new and improved mood board for Will's bedroom. I just made a few tweaks here and there.
 

Nursery Inspiration
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=68214504

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. You can get all of the details on my blog. It was passed along to me by another blogger and I hope you join in the fun! By the way, I love the dark color in Will's room:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for nominating me! I am very excited and will be posting all about it very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...