Saturday, July 6, 2013

How To Make a No-Sew Curtain

Earlier this week I showed you our master bathroom and what we've done in there, so far. I thought I would elaborate a little on how I made the curtain for our big picture window in front of the tub.
 
 
The process was pretty simple and required absolutely no sewing! I feel a little bad for my sewing machine. He hasn't made an appearance in quite some time. Maybe I need to dust him off before I forget how to thread the bobbin, again!
 
I actually had a hard time finding fabric  that I liked. I don't know why but nothing was really speaking to me in the fabric store. Then, I stumbled across this shower curtain at Target that I liked. It was on sale and I decided it would be perfect for our bathroom window. Plus, I like it enough that I knew I could use any leftover fabric for other projects.
 
 
 
The first thing I did to transform it from a shower curtain to two window panels was to cut it right down the middle. Then, I measured how long I wanted it to be and added about an inch and a half to make room for the faux seams. I cut both of my panels to this length and then it was time to break out my iron and ironing board.
 
I used Heat n' Bond Ultra Hold iron-on adhesive that I got from the fabric store.
 
 
                                         
 
I started with the side seam. I ironed down the seam to equal the size of the pre-sewn seam on the other side. Then, I inserted the adhesive between the two pieces of fabric and ironed it into place. This is one of those projects where I forgot to take a lot of pictures. Probably because my hands were so busy ironing. Where is my photographer when I need him? Here is what I can show you. If you look closely at this horribly, blurry picture (my camera does not know what to do up close) you can see how the adhesive fits under the pressed seam.
 
 
 
I repeated this step for all of the seams that had been cut until there were not more rough edges. I made sure to keep the seams equal in size on both panels.
 
 
I picked up a tension rod and some curtain clips at the hardware store to hang the curtain. I was lucky enough to find a tension rod that was strong enough to hold the weight of the curtain and small enough for the clips to fit over it. I just spaced the curtain clips out evenly, attached them by pinching the fabric an inch or two below the top of the panel, and then slid the curtain clips on the rod. I hung the rod and I called this project complete.  
 
 
Our curtain has worked out quite nicely, so far. I love that we still get lots of light in here and that our lovely picture window is still a focal point in the room. I don't think that would have been the case if we had hung blinds or had we hung the curtains from the top of the window. Do you agree?
 
 
Thanks for taking the time of your weekend to visit. I will see you next week with a look at our powder room and some updates with what I've been doing in our living room!  
 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...